I heard the sound clip of this today on 5fm and just hosed myself. Before I carry on though:
Please Note: This video is not real… it is a spoof.
You’d think that’s logical right, seems more than enough people that commented didn’t actually realise this.
Anyway, I just think it’s damn funny. Although, being born in 1981, it hit a bit too close to home…
Reading through the comments though, there was one that I thought was brilliant, from Kahandran: From 2:25-3:10, he does not blink once!
- Why Doesn’t MTV Play Music Videos? (mashable.com)
- Why Doesn’t MTV Play Music Videos? (clixto7.com)
- Psy’s Gangnam Style is best video at MTV EMA (todayonline.com)
- In pictures: The MTV Awards red carpet (thetimes.co.uk)
- Psy & Hangeng win accolades at the 2012 MTV Europe Music Awards (allkpop.com)
- Know Your Apps: MTV Music Meter (samsung.com)
Recently I find myself listening to 5fm, a national radio station, and as with any commercial station, they have lots of adverts. Generally I can handle the severe lack of creativity in advertising, but when they start taking me for an idiot, it pisses me off to no end.
Even though there are plenty of candidates, such as annoying old lady trying to tell me to use some ripoff premium rate cell service, when google would get me more useful info, or the one with the lame “gamer” guy reading off a whole bunch of geeky terms, which only tend to highlight how clueless they are, but those don’t make me want to commit murder.
That honour goes to MTN‘s Ayoba campaign and their advertising team deserve a special corner in hell for it. I can’t even remember how long it has been around, but it has always just pissed me off. Not that I hated the word itself, it was a perfectly valid slang word before MTN raped it, chained it up and made it their bitch!
It started getting to me during the World Cup, when they blasted it at us from every angle, at every opportunity. I thought that would be the end of it, but no, they decided to see how much they could milk it. Now they have the two cricket ads on radio, where they have this whole shpiel between Ayobaman and Randomcricketguy. Ayobaman is asking Randomcricketguy what you call it when something happens and then proceeds to call it Ayoba, see below for examples:
- Ayobaman asks what you call it when a batsmen hits a ball over the boundary without bouncing in the field. According to cricket rules, this is a “six”, but Ayobaman and MTN want us to call it “Ayoba”.
- Next up, Ayobaman asks us why cricketers say “howzat” and then goes on to suggest that we shout “ayoba” instead.
- There was one a while back asking what its called when a guy gets hit in the nutsack or something and this time it was “not ayoba”
If we carry on with MTN’s plans to substitute every single cricket term with ayoba or not ayoba, I would hate to see what would happen. I could carry on moaning about the shit campaign they are running, but that would just be cruelty to myself…
- Annoying Adverts. Brand Builders or Destroyers? (epiphanysolutions.co.uk)