AKA: Must Miss Movies 2012 #1: Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2
This month isn’t one of the more promising months when it comes to movies.
Of course, if you’re a Twilight fan, then you may think that how can I say that, but I refuse to watch it, simple, so therefore it can’t be a must see movie for me.
Week 1: Cloud Atlas
Written and Directed by Tom Twyker (Run Lola Run) & The Wachowskis (Matrix Trilogy, V for Vendetta), the movie is based on the award winning book of the same name from David Mitchell. The movie consists of different stories ranging from the 19th century to a post-apocalyptic future and is “an exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future.”
The film’s premier in Toronto received a ten minute standing ovation. Almost every actor in the film plays 3-6 different characters within an almost mind-exploding weave of locales. It stars Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, and many more.
The movies was released in the US on 26 October 2012, but comes to us in SA on 2 November 2012.
Trailer 1 (Extended):
Week 2: ParaNorman
It’s an animated movie, I know… but it has zombies in, that’s enough for me. If that’s not enough for you, how about the fact that it was done in stop-motion?
The movie used 31000 interchangeable parts to make the movie’s characters capable of 1.5 million expressions. Norman’s eye-rig alone has 40 parts and the faces were printed with a 3D printer. The rigs used for each character needed to be precise and even each individual stone & clump of dirt that is flung around when the zombies rise was controlled by individual wires.
On average, Laika’s 35 animators and 58 visual effects artists created all 244733 frames at an average of 4.4 seconds of footage. – (Source: www.wired.co.uk)
IMDB Moviemeter: Top 5000
Week 3 & 4
Yeah, that’s right, unless you’re a Twilight fan, in which case, you have my condolences.
Week 5: Skyfall
I’m a huge bond fan, and there are quite a few of us out there. Those who like Bond will already know about this, the 23rd film in the 007 series and those that don’t like Bond will not watch it no matter what I say. For those that are on the fence, the trailer should convince you either way.
Skyfall was released in the UK on 26 October 2012 and is due for release on 2 November 2012 in SA.
- Hanks, Berry lead “Cloud Atlas” through the centuries (mediocrityisthenewgenius.com)
- Cloud Atlas Sinks in a Storm, as Hollywood Prays for Skyfall (entertainment.time.com)
- Sam Mendes Says THE DARK KNIGHT Directly Influenced SKYFALL (collider.com)
- The Word Cloud Atlas: Big Themes, Graphic Spectacle (hollywood.com)
- SKYFALL – 15 Minutes of Behind the Scenes Footage (geektyrant.com)
- Why the Future of Mainstream Cinema Depends on You Seeing CLOUD ATLAS This Weekend (collider.com)
- Film Review: Cloud Atlas (teamfogreviews.com)
- Exclusive Video: The Making of Cloud Atlas (entertainment.time.com)
- 10 Days Till Release, ‘Skyfall’ is Yet To Receive A Negative Review (contactmusic.com)
- Skyfall (antoniakmoore.wordpress.com)